PADI Fish Identification
Being able to identify common fish and invertebrates is one of the best ways to increase your diving pleasure and enjoyment. With a basic knowledge of fish and invertebrate species, you can chat with your dive buddies about what you saw on your last dive, more accurately describe observations in your dive log, and keep on the lookout for rare or unusual species on your next dive.
Our PADI Fish Identification class teaches the most common fish & invertebrate species found in the Pacific Northwest, led by instructors who are experts in local marine life. The PADI Fish Identification class is perfect for both divers visiting Seattle who want to find out about our amazing Northwest fish and invertebrate life, and divers in the Northwest wanting to improve their local fish and invertebrate identification skills.
What You Learn
During two dives you gain hands-on (okay, eyes-on) experience in looking for and identifying the fascinating fish you see underwater. You’ll learn :
- How to identify characteristics of Pacific Northwest fish and invertebrate species
- Fish survey techniques and strategies
- How to practice fish identification dive planning, organization and procedures
- How to conduct actual fish surveys, record sightings on underwater slates, and transfer data to the REEF Fish Survey Project.
- $184.00 course fee. Includes 2 dives and PADI certification card
- Student gear rental is $74.00 for the course, upgrade to dry suit for $139.00 (1 day)
- Survey slate: REEF Fish ID Starter Kit for the Pacific Northwest
- Course text: Whelks to Whales, Revised Second Edition: Coastal Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest
We offer the PADI Fish Identification course monthly, check our calendar for the next scheduled class date. In addition, we can teach this class any day of the week for divers visiting Seattle.
- Minimum Age 10 years old
- PADI Open Water Diver certification (or equivalent certification from another agency)
- Please download, read, and fully complete the following form before class: PADI Continuing Education Administrative Document, PADI Medical Statement (PDF-116kb)